Travel for Rookies has selected these travel sites below as the best travel resources for you!
After a lot of my own travels in Italy, I found these to be the most competitive and user-friendly sites and travel resources in Italy and Europe. Pay close attention to the Rookie Hints & Savings Tips!
- TrenitaliaFind train fare throughout Italy in a few clicks. This is the Italy's official railway site. Rookie Hint: Be sure to click on "All Solutions" to see the cheaper fares, since they like to only show the most expensive ones first!
- Rail EuropeThis takes you to the latest promotions by Rail Europe. You can get a Eurail pass or unlimited Italy train pass at a discounted rate!
- RentalCars.comThis aggregator site particularly catered to Venice tourists includes car rental companies such as Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty. It's a quick one stop shop when looking to rent your car in Venice or Marco Polo airport.
- Cruises and FerriesFind out which cruise lines come and leave from Venice's dock; which cruise lines go to Sicily, Croatia, and Greece; and the easiest system to book those cruises. Rookie Savings: Find an inexpensive and scenic way to get to Sardinia and Elba Island!
- Holiday VelvetApartment hunting made easy! The interface rocks, the apartments are high-end, centrally located, but with rates as low as €100/nt for 4 ppl! I'm talking Grand Canal, St.Mark's square and San Polo district locations!
- HostelsClubHostelsClub.com is a Venice-born company with over 25,000 properties worldwide for budget travelers, and no membership required. This includes apartments, B&Bs, guest houses and more, so don't be fooled by the name. Rookie Tip: Become a facebook fan so you can get their membership card for free which allows you to get additional discounts at Venice's restaurants and bars!
- RentaliaThis site has few, but well-picked apartment rentals which aren't sketchy and have good pictures. You can book apartments in Italy, Portugal and Spain. Their map feature is helpful and the prices start from $100-$120/nt! Perfect for a couple or families.
- Groupon – VeneziaFind out how you can get the latest Groupon deal for a cheap stay in Venice for Two! Or you could really find out how to stay for $30 for Two with the Venice for Rookies guidebook.
- Select ItalyThis site is a one-stop shop for Italy travel. Buy your Trenitalia train tickets or reserve seats of musical and opera events hassle-free!
- SkyscannerI heart Skyscanner! It has a really easy search engine which includes most major lost cost airlines within Europe and you can also easily search for the best price with their calendar view!
- BravoflyBravofly is a search engine for European airlines, but the best part is their low cost map which automatically points you in the right direction if you’re looking for cheap getaways last minute!
- European Low Cost AirlinesCheck out the low-cost airlines that leave VCE everyday and where they get you to!
- CheapOairPros: Book online or call their toll-free number; they have a great multi-city flight search function for multiple legs; and they usually have an immediate discount off already cheap airfares.
- VayamaVayama specializes in international flight searches and can include alternative methods of transportation like bus/train rides to save some bucks but be sure to look closely at the itinerary. However their discounted int'l flight specials can save you around $50-$100 buckaroos!
- HipmunkSimplest interface, almost elementary actually, and their colorful design makes it super easy differentiate the airlines. It's Rookie proof and makes comparing flights a joy!
- Airlines to VeniceClick on the image to get the list of the various airlines that go to Venice, Italy. Some may even be offering Rookie Savings for you!
Hand-picked them myself.